Geisel Heating Air Conditioning Plumbing 80th anniversary
Geisel Heating Air Conditioning Plumbing Angies List Reviews
     
  Geisel Heating, Air Conditioning and Plumbing  


Carbon Monoxide Worries?

More commonly associated with fires and automobile emissions, carbon monoxide poisoning can accumulate in any home unless certain precautions are taken.

What Is Carbon Monoxide?

What Are The Effects Of Carbon Monoxide On The Human Body?

What Are The Symptoms Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Why Are New, Well Sealed Homes More Susceptible To CO Poisoning?

What Can Be Done To Protect Our Home From The Danger Of CO Poisoning?
 

Schedule a carbon monoxide test

 

What Is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that is produced by the incomplete combustion of fuels such as wood, natural gas, gasoline, diesel, kerosene, coal and charcoal. It is caused by lack of oxygen or a disruption in the burning process. Household appliances such as your furnace, water heater, stove, space heaters, charcoal grill or gas dryer can be sources of carbon monoxide, especially if they are not in proper working condition, or have been installed improperly. Vehicle exhaust fumes from attached garages, as well as improperly operating fireplaces also can become carbon monoxide hazards, particularly if your home is well-sealed for energy efficiency.

 

What Are The Effects Of Carbon Monoxide On The Human Body?

When we breathe, carbon monoxide combines with the red blood cells in the blood and displaces the oxygen our bodies needs to survive. Carbon monoxide combines with the red blood cells over 200 times more easily than oxygen and creates a condition known as carboxyhemoglobin saturation. Carbon monoxide then gets carried to the vital organs through the bloodstream instead of oxygen. Our organ tissues require oxygen; without it, our bodies start to asphyxiate or suffocate. It takes the body much longer to eliminate carbon monoxide than to absorb it, which is one reason why exposure can be so dangerous.

What Are The Symptoms Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Unfortunately, the symptoms caused by carboxyhemoglobin saturation are easily overlooked because they are often flu-like. With mild exposure, most people experience headaches, fatigue and nausea. Medium exposure can cause a severe throbbing headache, drowsiness, disorientation, confusion and an accelerated heart rate. Extreme exposure can lead to unconsciousness, convulsions, cardiorespiratory failure, coma and possibly death.

 

Why Are New, Well Sealed Homes More Susceptible To CO Poisoning?

Newer homes are better sealed to prevent air leakage, which reduces energy use. As a result, these homes limit ventilation of outside air. Normally, your home breathes in air from the outside to replace air being used by combustion appliances. If your home is too well-sealed, these appliances may become starved for the air that allows them to operate properly. When that happens, vent reversal may occur. This condition is also known as "down drafting," which means that the appliances start drawing air down the vent or chimney, resulting in combustion byproducts entering the home. In other words, if the burners become starved for oxygen, carbon monoxide can be introduced into the home. But even older, less insulated homes can be vulnerable to the threat of carbon monoxide poisoning, particularly if the appliances have been improperly installed or not maintained.

What Can Be Done To Protect Our Home From The Danger Of CO Poisoning?

Prevention is the most important step. Taking proper safety measures will reduce your risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Because vehicles are a major cause of carbon monoxide poisoning, always back your car out of the garage to let it warm up. Never leave it running in the confined space of a garage, particularly if the garage is attached to the home. The same holds true for lawn mowers or snowmobiles. Never use ovens or grills for heating devices.

Home heating systems represent only 5% of the many potential sources of carbon monoxide. They are designed to be safe, efficient and not produce substantial amounts of carbon monoxide. However, it is important to schedule annual maintenance visits by a Geisel technician to check all combustion appliances to make sure they are operating properly and to be sure that all chimneys and vents are connected properly and not blocked.

Test your heating system for carbon monoxide.   Learn More

 

Learn more about Carbon Monoxide
Carbon Monoxide Detectors Save Lives

 

Back to top

 
 
Cleveland
Phone: 440-323-2869
Elyria
633 Broad Street
Elyria, OH 44035
Phone: 440-323-2869
Lorain
Phone: 440-233-8548
Oberlin
300 Artino St.
Oberlin, OH 44074
Phone: 440-775-3311
Medina
885 West Liberty
Medina, Oh 44256
Phone: 330-723-9032
Other Info
Toll Free: 1-888-293-7032
Fax: 1-440-323-7447
E-Mail Us
 
site designed by radius